Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Legal Eaze #96 Insured Lawsuit/Defamation/Nail Clippings In Food

Title: August 27, 2008

Q: I sold my car to a guy on a Friday night. He wrecked the car two days later and called me for help. He was driving it without insurance and title had not transferred over to him yet. He gave all of my information to the person who hit him. I agreed to help him by making a claim with my own insurance company to help him fix the car. The car was considered a total loss. Now this guy is suing me for his loss. How can I prepare myself for the Small Claims Court hearing?

A: If you were still insured at the time of the incident and there is a claim/lawsuit against you, you should submit the claim/lawsuit to your own insurance company. One of the important duties of an insurance company is to defend their insured in a legal action where their insured and his/her driver are likely to be liable. Otherwise, you may want to consult with a civil litigator long before the hearing, since following some of his/her suggestions may take some time to put into place.

Q: While fighting a custody battle with my ex-wife, I was accused of numerous allegations such as child abuse, spousal abuse, philanderer, etc. While reading a section of California Civil Law, I read that by law, no one is allowed to defame another without evidence. Since no evidence was offered, do I have a civil lawsuit against the Superior Court since the Judge and clerks did not stop her from saying all these lies?

A. It is highly unlikely that you would be successful in such lawsuit. Judges are absolutely immune from suit for acts or omissions committed in their judicial capacity. As for the clerks in the Courthouse, they have no power to stop a person from saying whatever he/she wants in the courtroom or courthouse.

Q: I found finger and/or toenail clippings in my Del Monte chili. What can I do?

A. Throw it away and never buy Del Monte products again. Or call Del Monte company and complain. They’ll probably send you a flat of Del Monte chili cans to replace the first one. Go back to the store where you bought and demand your money back. If you thinking “Who can I sue to get damages?” you will have to prove what damages you suffered as a result of this find. If you did not suffer extensively from “gag-teritis”, it is unlikely that your lawsuit would be successful.

Maxine de Villefranche has been an attorney for 15 years and is practicing law in Tehachapi and Lancaster. Send your questions via fax at (661)825-8880 or e-mail your questions or comments to http://www.generalaw.com She will answer your questions to the best of her abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment