Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Legal Eaze #84 Charged Twice/Cross-Complaint

Title: January 16, 2008

Q. I purchased several Christmas gifts online to be shipped to my sister’s kids in New York. I ordered the gifts at the beginning of December. I just received my credit card bill and the same gifts were billed on my card twice. I called the online company but I am being given the total runaround. What should I do?

A. You need to call your credit card company and file a complaint. Then you need to write a letter to the company you ordered the gifts from and put your complaint in writing. Make sure you address your letter to the President or CEO of the company, and send it by registered or certified mail. Keep a copy of your letter. I would suggest that you mention you will contact the attorney general of the company’s state if you do not obtain a satisfactory result. If you haven’t received a reply within a reasonable time (give it a month), then contact the attorney general of the state in which the company is located and file a complaint with the attorney general. Not only can you get the information online, but with most attorney general’s offices, you can file the complaint online.

Q. I was sued in Superior Court. I filed a cross-complaint at the beginning of December and served it on the attorney. I have yet to receive an answer to my cross-complaint. Isn’t the “answer” time barred by now?

A. Typically, a cross-complaint has to be served on the party himself, unless the attorney informs you that he had permission to be served on behalf of his client. A cross-complaint must be answered 30 days after it was served, the same timeframe as a regular complaint. You should call this attorney and find out if it is was permissible to serve the attorney rather than the attorney’s client. Not every attorney is retained to file a lawsuit on behalf of a client, and to represent him as a cross-defendant as well. If the attorney tells you that he cannot accept service on behalf of the client, then you have to serve the cross-complaint on the cross-defendant. Hire a process server or a sheriff to do that. Even better, hire an attorney so that the entire lawsuit can be handled properly.

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 15 years of experience. She practices law from her Tehachapi office as well as her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers to the best of her abilities. Email your questions to maxinedev@msn.com or fax to (661) 825-8880

No comments:

Post a Comment