Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Legal Eaze #82 Pregnancy Affair/Work Without Pay/Unpatented Product

Title: December 12, 2007

Q. I dated a married woman last year. We had sexual relations on several occasions. She told me that she had a platonic relationship with her husband. Before we stopped seeing each other, she informed me that I got her pregnant. She is about to give birth to the child. If this child is mine, I want to be involved in its life, but I have not seen or talked to this woman for several months. How can I become involved in raising my child?

A. How do you know that it is your child? Are you certain? You would need to have a DNA test performed on the child, the woman and you. As I am sure you realize, this might be cause for a breakup of this woman’s marriage. Maybe her relationship with her husband was not what she portrayed it to be. If the child is not yours, your willingness to re-insert yourself back into her life may cause problems for a lot of people. As it stands right now, the child is presumed to be her husband’s child. If she is not contacting you, she might not want her husband to know she had an affair with you. No matter what, I believe it is a mistake for you to force the issue. Stay out of her life right now. Believe me, she will contact you if you are the father of the child.

Q. Can my employer require that I work on the weekends without pay?

A. Your employer can ask you, but you can say no. You are not required to work without pay. You are entitled to compensation for all work performed for your employer. If you do not get paid for overtime, you can file a claim with the Labor Commission. If you are being retaliated against for having filed a claim with the Labor Board, this could be the basis for a civil lawsuit against your employer.

Q. I invented a product that can be used in a commercial kitchen. I have a meeting next week with the general manager of a large restaurant chain in Los Angeles to demonstrate my product. I do not have a patent for this product. What if this company steals my idea? How do I protect myself?

A. You should have a non-disclosure Agreement for the manager to sign. These agreements are very common. If he refuses to sign it, do not demonstrate the product. You can get a “provisional” application for patent at a minimal cost. This is good for one year. In the meantime, you can market the product to various companies. If it sells, then you should get a patent ASAP.

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 14 years of experience. She practices law from her Tehachapi office as well as her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers to the best of her abilities. Email your questions to maxinedev@msn.com or fax to (661) 825-8880

No comments:

Post a Comment