Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Legal Eaze #77 Canceling Real Estate Purchase Contract/Removing Self From Mortgage/Rent To Own

Title: September 12, 2007

Q. Other than forfeiting an earnest money deposit, is there a penalty for canceling a real estate purchase contract?

A. It depends on the contract. If the purchase contract was accepted by the seller, escrow was opened, the seller may file a lawsuit for specific performance, specially if the real estate market is in a downward mode and the seller would lose money by having to put the property back on the market and sell it at a reduced price. Time is often of essence in a real estate sale and obviously a lot of time, and profits can be lost when the seller loses several months in paying a mortgage on real estate that did not sell quickly. The penalty would be attorney’s fees in defending a lawsuit for specific performance, not to mention the Court can force you to buy the property if you lose the suit.

Q. Can I remove myself from a mortgage that I had with my mother when she bought her house? I now want to buy my own house, but I cannot qualify because I am still on the hook for the mortgage on my mother’s house.

A. You cannot remove yourself from a mortgage unless the mortgage holder consents or the mortgage is paid off. Typically, this scenario occurs in a marriage that ends up in divorce. But since this is a deal you made with your mother, you cannot “divorce” her. I would approach the subject with your mother and see if she is in a position to refinance her house without your financial backing.

Q. I rented a house with an agreement to rent to own. There are numerous problems with this house. The roof was leaking. I got it fixed. The toilet in the basement was leaking. I got it fixed. The support beams are all crooked, and major repairs need to be done. I had this house appraised, and it is worth $50,000 less than what the owner is asking for it. I have got to get out of this “rent to own” agreement. Can I?

A. It really depends on the terms of the contract you entered into. You may have to let go of the equity you built in the house. However, you may be entitled to recover the cost of the repairs and improvements you made to the house, however you need to document the costs of the repairs and improvements.

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 14 years of experience. She practices law from her Tehachapi office as well as her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers to the best of her abilities. Email your questions to maxinedev@msn.com or fax to (661) 825-8880

No comments:

Post a Comment