Friday, February 27, 2009

Legal Eaze #26 Gossip/ Rental Occupant

Title: July 13, 2005

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 13 years of experience. She operates her law practice from her new office in town, as well her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers, to the best of her abilities. Please forward your questions to maxinedev@msn.com or fax them to (661)825-8880.

Q. I have lived in Tehachapi for 27 years. People I barely know have spread hate gossip about me shortly after I moved here. I could not afford to move away so I installed a video security system on my property. On several occasions my system was vandalized. On one occasion, I even have one of the youth who committed the vandalism on camera. Despite knowing who the culprits are, law enforcement officials will not help me obtain reimbursement for the cameras I have had to buy over and over again. Having to replace my cameras has been a costly ordeal for me. I am disabled and elderly and having trouble with the financial burden as well as the harassment suffered at the hands of my neighbors. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do?
A. The police cannot help you recorder money you have lost in replacing your cameras. The only way available to you is to sue the one fellow you know has vandalized your video security system. If he is a minor, then you would have to sue his parents. If the amount claimed is below $5,000, you can sue in small claims court, the fastest and most cost-efficient way. As for the harassment, you are being the victim of, you can file a civil temporary restraining order (TRO) against the neighbors who are committing the harassment. You have to be specific as to the conduct you claim is harassing to you. If the court sees it your way, you will obtain the TRO but if the conduct you are complaining of does not rise to the standard requirements for the court to issue the TRO, you are out of luck.
Q. I have a rental occupied by a tenant who is causing a lot of trouble and noise. The neighbors are constantly calling the police on him and complained to me that he is disturbing their peace. He pays his rent on time and has been there a long, so what should I do?
A. I realize you probably like to keep him as a tenant, but if your neighbors decide to sue for breach of the “covenant of quiet enjoyment and disturbing their peace”, they might add you as a defendant because you are keeping your tenant in possession of your rental, and you are aware of the problems he has caused. I hope you have a lease. Read the lease carefully, and if you have a cause that says” no illegal activities allowed”, I suggest you file an Unlawful Detainer action against on that ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment