Friday, February 27, 2009

Legal Eaze #24 medicated son/ bankruptcy

Title: June 15, 2005

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 13 years of experience. She operates her law practice from her new office in town, as well her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers, to the best of her abilities. Please forward your questions to maxinedev@msn.com.

Q. Our son resides with us. He is 22 years old and he suffers from schizophrenia. He has refused to take his medication on numerous occasions which is causing him to become aggressive, loud and obnoxious. He is a pretty big guy and my wife is sometimes fearful of him when she is alone with him in the house. He has never harmed her but sometimes I feel like it is only a matter of time before he does. I go to work every day and am away from our home from 7 a.m. through 7 p.m. five days a week. I don’t want my wife to feel like I am abandoning her and I don’t want her to be hurt by our son. What should we do?
A. You son need to be committed to a mental institution. What are you waiting for to do so? Are you waiting for your wife to be injured by your son? If your son refuses to take his medication, and that is the only thing that keeps him from acting out, then he is “an accident” waiting to happen. Until he realizes that taking his medication is what will keep him out of the hospital, he needs to be kept under control at all times. The medical staff at a hospital or a mental institution has the know-how to control a schizophrenic. You may also need to file a Petition for Conservatorship with the court in order to have the right to make medical decisions for your son. You may also need to manage his financial affairs, if he has any to manage, and becoming his conservator will give you that power.
Q. My credit card bills have become unmanageable. I am only working part-time now and I cannot keep a roof over my head and feed my family while continuing to pay for all our credit cards. My wife is eight months pregnant and cannot work anymore until she gives birth to our third child. What should I do?
A. File for bankruptcy, if you not done so already. I would advise you to hurry because the new bankruptcy laws will take effect in October 2005. Soon, it will be far more difficult for credit card debt to be discharged. In fact, many will be forced to file a Chapter 13, which entails repaying debt over time. Financial management classes will also be mandatory. The new bankruptcy laws will be disastrous for people who reached financial bottom through illness. Unfortunately, Congress members listed too closely to the credit card industry’s complaints. One can only expect that debtor’s prison will be reinstated next.

No comments:

Post a Comment