Friday, February 27, 2009

Legal Eaze #23 Used Car/Foreign Marriage

Title: June 1, 2005

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 13 years of experience. She operates her law practice from her new office in town, as well her Lancaster satellite office. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers, to the best of her abilities. Please forward your questions to maxinedev@msn.com.

Q. I purchased a car from the Salvation Army. The salesman said they did not have this year’s tag on it because the car license was due for renewal. He also told me there was something wrong with the brakes, but otherwise the car was fine. Today, I attempted to drive the car off the lot and a big puff of smoke came out the back. I got out of the car and a puddle of oil was behind the car. My brother, who was in the car with me, told me I shouldn’t drive this car because it is unsafe. I told the salesman I wanted my money back, but he refused and told me the Salvation Army was going to have to tow the car to my house. What can I do?
A. I suspect you bought this car “as is”, although you have mentioned nothing about the contents of your sales contract. I do not believe that the Salvation Army is considered to be a “car dealer”. Car dealers are bound by law not to sell cars that are unsafe to drive, which includes brakes that are not in good working order. When you are considering the purchase of a used vehicle with an “as is” sign on it, you should always be extremely careful and have the car checked by a mechanic before you buy it. I gather that you failed to do so. I am sorry that you had to learn such an expensive lesson. Read your sales contract and see if you have an escape clause in it which would allow you to return the car andyou’re your money back.
Q. Last year, I got married on foreign soil while on vacation. I wonder if my marriage is legal here in California and if not, should I re-marry under California law?
A. Failed to tell me in which country you got married and whether or not the marriage is considered valid in that country. Were you or your “husband” ever a citizen of this country? Typically, foreign marriages are valid if you meet the residency requirement of that country, among various other requirements. Each country has different requirements in order for a marriage to be valid. If both of you resided in California before and after the foreign marriage, it might be a good idea to at least have a civil ceremony here in California. If there are any questions in your mind that you are not married, then your “marriage” may not be valid and/or legal in this state.

No comments:

Post a Comment