Saturday, January 3, 2009

Legal Eaze #9 Common Law Marriage/ Propery Rental Shed, Verbal Agreement Loan

Originally Printed: November 10, 2004

Maxine de Villefranche is an attorney and civil general practitioner with 12 years of experience. She will answer legal questions posed to her by the readers, to the best of her abilities.
Q. I have been living with my boyfriend for the last seven years. We hold ourselves as being married to the outside world, but we never actually got married. Is there such a thing as common law marriage in California?
A. No, California is not a common law marriage state. This means unless you have a marriage license, you are not married. However, had you been living for a number of years in another state that recognizes common law marriage, the State of California would have to honor the other state’s law. But if you have been living in California with your boyfriend for the last seven years, he is still only that, a boyfriend.
Q. I have a large shed which was unfortunately built half-way on my neighbor’s property. When the shed was built, approximately 12 years ago, I paid $2000 to my neighbor to give me an easement for the 75 square feet my shed occupies on his property. My neighbor has sold his property and the new owner wants me to move my shed back onto my property or he will destroy the portion that occupies his property,. What do I do?
A. Hopefully your easement was properly recorded with the county recorder. If you new neighbor causes you problems, you should seek an injunction to stop him from destroying your property. If he proceeds with his threats, you have recourse in filing a lawsuit for your damages. If you damages are not more than $7,500, you should use the Small Claims Court, which is much cheaper and faster.
Q. I learned of a verbal agreement Law in California. I loaned a substantial amount of money to my brother-in-law, but there’s nothing in writing. He promised to pay it back within two weeks, a promise he did not keep. It’s now been two months and he refuses to return my phone calls. Does this law pertain to this type of transaction?
A. I am not sure what law you are talking about, maybe Parol Evidence. You will need to sue your brother-in-law. However, before you do, you must show that you used money you loaned to him from your own funds. Your evidence must trace the money to funds you had in your possession, such as a bank account. If you had a witness present when the transaction took place, he can testify on your behalf. Otherwise, you may have to subpoena your brother’ in law’s bank records to prove he obtained the money.
Forward your questions by e-mail to maxinedev@msn.com or drop questions at the Tehachapi News, 411 N. Mill St., Tehachapi, or send them by mail to P.O. Box 1840, Tehachapi, CA 93581

No comments:

Post a Comment